FIM Sidecar: ACU Brexit Transition bulletin

FIM Sidecar: ACU Brexit Transition bulletin

FIM Sidecar: ACU Brexit Transition bulletin

FIM Sidecar World championship logos

ACU logo

Brexit Transition

Last Updated: Monday 4 January 2021

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end on 31st December 2020. Given the very recent news of a trade deal with the EU, announced on 24th December, ACU is aware of the need for organisers and participants to plan for 2021 and is seeking urgent responses from government to establish clear guidance.


What we know so far:


What does this mean for me if I want to travel into or through Europe to take part in motorsport events from 1st January 2021?

Individuals and teams travelling to events should be aware of key changes following the anticipated UK departure from the European Union.

So what in particular do I need to think about?

• Travel insurance that includes personal health insurance
• Passports (must have a minimum of 6 months’ validity and be less than 10 years old)
• International Driving Permits (required by some EU states)
• Green Cards (can take up to a month for insurance companies to issue)
• All vehicles will need to display a GB sticker even if there is a GB logo on their vehicle number plate
• Anyone driving their own car within the EU will be required to carry their vehicle V5C logbook
• Anyone wishing to take a rental car out of the UK to the EU will also need to complete a VE103 form requesting permission

Please also note: Arrangements in respect of ATA Carnets and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are yet to be announced. Details will provide an update as soon as this information is available.

Will I be able to travel to the EU without a visa?

It appears that visa free movement will be permitted for 90 days in any 180 days for business (meetings & conferences) and tourism. Sport should therefore be largely unaffected, including the movement of support staff where salaried in the UK, but if persons are salaried from within the EU this may not be so. Longer stays and other business activities will be subject to the immigration rules of individual states. Coaching overseas may be subject to the coach requiring a visa.

Will my current UK health care insurance be sufficient for travel?

Please check with your healthcare provider to see whether you are covered in Europe, as you may need to take out further insurance to provide the necessary cover.

Is a Green Card required and how do I obtain one?

From 1st January individuals require a green card to drive their car in Europe. This is a document motorists get from their insurer to prove their car is covered.

Motorists should contact their insurers six weeks before travelling to ask for a green card. Separate green cards are needed for trailers and caravans. The green card is only proof of a minimum level of third-party cover – individuals will need to check with their insurer to find out what level of cover they would receive.

Will I need an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An IDP will be needed to drive in some European countries. Government advice is to check with the embassy of the country you are thinking of travelling to.

What about my equipment which needs to come with me?

We are seeking clarification from government on the subject of customs papers/carnets.

What if I am a settled EU Citizen living in the UK?

EU citizens will need to register with the EU settlement scheme before June, in order to continue living and working in Britain.

Successful applicants will be granted the indefinite right to continue living and working in the UK. Further clarity is anticipated on this matter.

Further guidance

We draw competitors’ attention to the following sites for further guidance updates:

You can also use the Transition Self Checker to get more guidance and actions tailored to your organisation.

NEWSFLASH: Eurosport TV coverage

NEWSFLASH: Eurosport TV coverage

NEWSFLASH: Eurosport TV coverage

Eurosport logo

Due to the World Superbike Estoril clash, both Brands Hatch sidecar races take place in the morning before Eurosport TV is on air with BSB. The races are therefore live on on the Eurosport Player.

They will also be on our RKB-F1 website during the week in full.

Seeking a Press, Media and TV person

Seeking a Press, Media and TV person

Seeking a Press, Media and TV person

Whilst we are all in this suspended state, with not very much happening on the surface, it does not mean the feet are not paddling away below.

We at RKB-F1 Motorsport are hard at it planning what hopefully will turn out to be the season we all want. Given we now have 2 Championships running in parallel – The UK and World, we are looking to expand the team on the ground on race weekends, particularly in the area of PR, Social Media and TV.

Ideally we see the person filling this part-time role as a graduate, or a young person wishing to gain experience in the world of marketing and PR with a view to progressing in the field of sport journalism, television or similar.

We currently have TV footage edited and produced for our own website and YouTube channel, whilst the World Championship has a bespoke highlights package produced by the FIM. We are also considering taking interviews and video snapshots at both series, to edit into those shows.

This is an opportunity for a keen graduate or young person to be exposed to the world of motor sport media, and to learn from our already experienced personnel some of the tricks of the trade. More than anything initially, it needs to be considered as work experience, with a view to moving ahead as things develop.

If you feel this is something you would like to become involved in, and are interested in exploring this further, please make contact in the first instance with by sending a current CV along with a covering letter.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The RKB-F1 Motorsport Team

Pin It on Pinterest